In Following the path along the south of the Twin Churches in Ephesus , and some 200 yards away, one comes to the immense ruins of the Harbour Baths of Ephesus . These are immediately to the east of the harbour and are called the " Great Gymnasium ". They were mistaken for the Temple of Artemis of Ephesus by some ancient travellers. The inscription " Atrium Thermarum Constantinarum " found in Ephesus at an excavation carried out by Austrian archaeologists at the beginning of this century, established the fact that ,these were the ruins of a second century bath called the Bath of Constantine II ( Emperor 337-361 A.D.).
As the greater part of the Ephesus harbour ruins near the sea are partly covered by marshes and a heavy layer of debris, it is difficult to form a clear idea of their general plan. But excavations carried out in Ephesus in 1931 threw much light on some obscure points, and is now understood that the harbour baths of Ephesus were built according to the general plan of Roman baths. - Please, note that Ephesus Harbour Baths are not visited in Ephesus tours as those parts are still being excavated and they are not open to public yet. -